Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Art of Zumba

Today I remembered how much I love working out. I've been looking to join a gym up here in the V.A... somewhat grudgingly, because it's always difficult to get into a routine. But I've been realizing that the time had come once more to bite the bullet and recommit to "fitness" or whatever those hippie doctors are calling it now. So Katie, a friend from work, recommended Gold's Gym to me and very graciously hooked me up with a 7 day class pass. This morning, I picked myself out of bed and hauled my cookies over to Falls Church.
First we did a weight lifting class, which was not "fun" but was a really good class. I was excited to have an instructor in his forties who was so spunky leading the class and then a guy who used the inspirational lyrics of Nickelback songs to motivate us. I'm confident that I'll be sore tomorrow...
But the real highlight was the next class, which was called Zumba. The best way for me to describe what it was like is African tribal dance via the Latin Caribbean. From the second the instructor walked in, I knew it was going to be a fun class. She basically reminded me of a super perky pre-school teacher who knew how to pop it. It was seriously one of the most positive and empowering things I've done in a long time. There were women in the class of all sizes, ages, and races and we were all just letting loose and having a great time. It didn't matter what we looked like doing it- it was mostly just that you were doing it at all. The energy was positive and empowering- it was what the Dove campaign for real beauty wants to be. There was just generally so much joy... minus shakin' what our mamas gave us, it was basically what I would picture dancing before the Lord would be like in the Psalms.
Anyways, I recommend it and if y'all come up to VA, you can come watch me dance like a fool to Selena and Latino-Caribbean music.

No comments:

Post a Comment