Friday, March 26, 2010

Music When The Lights Go Out

This has been delayed this week because work has been crazy!! So crazy that I made it an early night and am going to go to sleep after I finish this. Suffice it to say, I've been listening to a lot of music as I've been slaving away on powerpoint and Jira.

"Jolene"- Dolly Parton: Let's start with the song that I cannot get out of my head recently. Growing up in East Tennessee gave me a natural aversion to really getting into Dolly's music as a young lass, since it just seemed so cliche to love her. But at the ripe old age of 22, I am willing to embrace Dolly in her full glory, especially after hearing her speak at graduation and seeing her in all her sassy Barbie-ness. This is truly a beautiful song, top to bottom, even if my friend Jolene doesn't care to be associated with the eponymous homewrecker. Such pretty lyrics and delivered with a guilelessness that makes it a true classic. And it's so damn catchy.

"Helter Skelter"- The Beatles: Remember how I said The White Album spawned musical genres? This is example numero uno. Say hello to beginning of hard rock. Very raw, great delivery by Paul, love Lennon's tag line at the end. And it really does sound like you're riding a roller coaster, so listen with that in mind next time. I've always wanted to say to someone, "You may be a lover, but you ain't no dancer."

"Blues in the Night" - Judy Garland: We've come to the moment. The moment I reveal my not so secret passion for Judy. Why you may ask? So many reasons, some I understand, some I need to pay someone to explain. But all you need to know is that she's my favorite singer of all time. Whether she's en vogue or out, I adore her. Thought I'd start my introduction to all that is Judy with a little known number from her. I think this is in "Girl Crazy," but it's an interesting performance because it's bluesier/jazzier than most of her work from the early 40s. She moves into the jazz and cabaret stuff during her concert years, but during the MGM years, she was most show tunes and big band. So this recording is interesting because she's using her MGM voice on a blues number. She really sings from the gut on this one, as per usual, but I still love it this performance every time I hear it. Great sing-along for the car.

"Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want" - The Smiths and She & Him: I was reminded of this track by the "500 Days of Summer" soundtrack (which is great by the way, totally a good investment). Definitely a lyric that we can all relate to. I'd recommend checking out both versions... Covers aren't always so great, but the She & Him cover is really great. The original has a resigned quality to it that makes it sound very emo and depressing. But the cover is sung from a more hopeful, begging place that sounds more like she's hoping that she actually will get want she wants. Compare and contrast- it's an interesting exercise.

"Long Cool Woman (In a Black Dress)" - The Hollies: I defy you not to rock out when this comes on. Such a classic good old fashioned jam. And I really love the way he expresses his admiration for this chick... I'd love to be someone's long cool woman :). Great guitar licks, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment