Sunday, July 18, 2010

Explanation of the Road to Come

So, as some of you may have noticed, there is a new countdown on this page, entitled, "Countdown to 365 Pages of Written Bravery." What do I mean by this somewhat esoteric title?
I think this thought process will have to broken up into multiple posts, but, as an introduction, I have known for some time now that business in general and, once I took my job, consulting specifically, is just not what God made me to do. I'm good at it- there's nothing wrong with it. It's just not what makes me feel alive or what I feel called to. This hasn't really been a secret to me. I figured out that business was not for me while I was still in school. But I still felt God calling me to take my job and to go to DC. I came here, knowing that my work situation (and therefore lifestyle) was a transitional phase, the in-between time to get me to whatever He had planned next. I just didn't know what it was going to be.
I am feeling more and more now that the time is rapidly approaching that my mind set must change from being a consultant who writes to being a writer who consults. It's kind of hard to explain, and I will try to be more articulate at an hour when I have not just stumbled out of a 8 hour car ride, but I have always written. I've always felt guilty when I've not been writing. It's a weird compulsion that I can't remember not having. But, while I would occasionally fantasize about writing the next great American novel, I never seriously thought I would try to be a professional writer.
I feel like God is taking me on this road, and frankly, it really scares me. I don't really know where we're going with this. But faith is about taking the next clear step and from where I stand, the next clear step is establishing a regular writing schedule. So...
I am embarking, as of midnight tonight, on a schedule of writing at least 1 page a day for the next year. If I do the bare minimum, I will have 365 pages by this time next year. I've called them 365 pages of written bravery because it's 365 pages of me imagining a life of living in the calling I was born with, which is intimidating and wrought with implications in every area of my life. I am taking a big breath (*inhale*) and taking the plunge. See you on the other side of the next year.

1 comment:

  1. So excited for you and praying that you feel His presence and peace in this next step for you!

    ReplyDelete