Monday, January 17, 2011

The Little Things in Life- Observations in the Midst of Delirium

I am drowning all of my brain cells at work right now. The assignment they've given me to set up Jira is turning into my 'Nam. Being unable to sustain focus on any one thing for more than 45 minutes, I've resorted to writing down my random observations and calling them a post:
  1. I really like hats. They're jaunty, they're decorative, and they're practical in either weather extreme. My vow this winter has been to wear my hats more. I look darn cute in them and they aid that vintage feel that I so desperately long to evoke. But as I've sported my hopeless adorable chapeaux this winter, I can't help but wonder- how did all of these people in the days of yore keep the stupid things on their heads? I mean, some of them, I get. The tiny little ones that were purely decorative were fastened by a hat pin. The gigantic, basket-like ones, brimming with any amount of tulle, flora, and fauna, generally have some kind of chin strap. But a straight forward fedora, beret, or cloche- what to do? Every time I step out into the cold, my hat tries to escape. I saw a documentary once where Harrison Ford had to staple the Indiana Jones hat to his head. Is that what it really takes? Or double stick tape? Someone save me and my scalp from the staple gun and tell me how the heck to keep these suckers on.
  2. I am so thankful for my bed. It's completely beautiful and oh so comfy. Check this out: start with a pillow top mattress. Add a foam layer. Wrap it in t-shirt fabric sheets. Add a pristine white quilt and then a beautiful aqua-silver cable throw (courtesy Maria from Christmas). Top it with a vintage-esque tufted gold bedspread a la 1920s boudoir, apple green pillows, against a padded charcoal headboard... help me. Gorgeous. So comfy. Every night when I go to bed, I am so thankful for the provision of each of these items. And every morning when I wake up, I curse them. They have settled into a perfect nest of comfort during the night that make leaving this nurturing womb pure torture when the alarm goes off. I have seriously considered making my bed less comfortable to make getting out of it easier. Anyways, I was made all the more aware of the luxurious comfort that I am lucky enough to enjoy in VA when I went back to TN. My parents have a lovely home and I was excited to sleep in the guest bed because it had this feather thing on top of the mattress that sounded so promising. False. Halfway through my visit, I, for the first time in my 23 years, experienced the annoyance of a bad hip. This crazy bed messed with my joints in a way that I still haven't recovered from. Moral of the story? I am remembering how blessed I am to not only have a bed in a warm home this winter, but to have an amazingly relaxing bed that does not turn me into the first hip replacement candidate under 75.
  3. Slowly but surely, I am learning the restorative powers of children. Okay, for those of you that have them, I understand that teaching Sunday school for 2 hours once a week is totally not the same thing as having to run after a 5 man crew of rambunctious tykes 24/7. I get that. It's not the same. I hope to one day share your pain; but I've never had a glamorized view of motherhood. I always kind of thought of it like a colonoscopy or detox diet - ultimately rewarding, but awfully painful along the way. Maybe that is true. But I think I just have never really experienced the rewarding part of the equation, and since I was raised like an only child in a childless neighborhood, I didn't really experience babysitting or anything like that. It's not that I didn't like kids or that they didn't like me. They just scared me a bit, because I didn't quite know what to do with them. Well, between my adorable and terribly sweet niece's birth* and my time teaching my 2nd graders in Sunday school this year, I am finally understanding why we procreate, beyond species propitiation, societal expectations, and the whole "be fruitful and multiply" bit. Yes, they can be frustrating at times and they are by definition dependent; but I just love them. Their problems are simple and direct. Their love is unembarrassed and whole-hearted. Their enjoyment is complete and freely shown. When I'm with them, it lets me forget some of my own problems or annoyances and I can be completely in the moment with them. I am so thankful for all the things that I am learning from them- and I'm just thankful that in a society that increasingly devalues children and childhood (consequence-free one night stands, careers above all else, obsession with extra-curriculars and achievement, etc), I am being given the chance to see that children in any circumstances or state are a blessing to be cherished. And I'm so excited to have another little one at my sister's house in July. 
  4. I am in "Real Housewives" overload. Don't get me wrong- I've always loved me some tacky TV. It's mind numbing at the end of a long day, and thus the best prescription from a day where you feel like pulling your hair out. However, I'm realizing that I am using the tawdry series as a gossip replacement. I might not be gossiping about people who are actually in my life- but I'm still gossiping about complete and total strangers. And isn't that a little bit sad? So my only new year's resolution is to dial back down on the gossiping about strangers and stick with gossiping about people I actually know. Or maybe just not gossiping at all- what a novel thought... 
Sorry for the disjointed post, but just trying to clear my plate of random thoughts that have drifted through the vacuum of my mind. For now, I'm going to sit back and enjoy the rest of this wonderful Monday off from work. 

*My niece said my name for the first time over the holidays - "ankie". Hearts melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment