Friday, January 28, 2011

Time Warp?

So, if you haven't discovered this yet, get ready to have you mind blown. In the iTunes store, at the bottom of the page, there is a section called "Free on iTunes". That's right, free. The first 3-4 items are usually the ones of interest... beyond that, there are free episodes of TV shows I've never heard of, choral recordings from the webmaster's 3rd grader, etc. I don't usually pay attention to that stuff. However, I religiously check those first few songs. Why? Because those are freebies from bands who are trying to promote their new stuff. And that new stuff is often awesome. I have saved myself some money doing this... "Bulletproof" by La Roux? "If I Die Young" by The Band Perry? Free for me, not to mention dozens of other songs that I never would have discovered otherwise and have come to love ("I Am Not a Robot" by Marina & the Diamonds, par exemple) Seriously, check this out and if you even kind of like any of the songs, download them. I am sure there are lots of other places for free music- this is just my preferred avenue.
Anyways, whilst I was making my weekly check of the land of free songs, I noticed that I didn't know a single song that was in the Top 10 list. This isn't unusual- the only time I pay attention to what the kids are listening to these days is when I poke my head out of my work hole and go to the gym. Which has not been happening with the frequency I would like, as of late.
I thought I'd take a quick listen- it'd give me a point of reference when reading the Music section of Entertainment Weekly. I started with Miss Spears... some of her past songs have been my go-to trashy guilty pleasure songs, so I figured this would be another addition to that list. Incorrect. I found some kind of weird, techno song that seemed to be a half-hearted, quasi-seduction of a fellow club rat. Without a genuinely catchy beat, it was impossible to ignore the crassness of the rest of the song, and really, what's the fun in that? Disappointed, I tried again with Pitbull's "Hey Baby." To my dismay, I now found a rappist belting out his misogynistic rhymes over a Euro-pop techno beat. What was going on? Enrique Iglesias, who I have such fond middle school memories of, was encased in a wall of Night at the Roxbury-esque electronic beats.
Did I hop into a time machine and end up at a house party in 1995? Or did I just sleep through the flight to Frankfurt? Seriously, I have not heard this much techno-infused groovin' since I was staying in a hostel in London.
I guess there's nothing really wrong with it. I just never thought that the modern youth of America would share musical tastes with David Hasselhoff in his Baywatch days. Color me perplexed. And ungrooved.

No comments:

Post a Comment