Thursday, March 10, 2011

Cooookie!

So, if you see the last time I posted, I've been rediscovering the joys of film photography. And I was thinking, what is something beautiful that I could take pictures of? And it hit me:


The most delicious cookies in the entire world. Okay, maybe not the most delicious. But way up there, especially if you like fruit themed desserts. These are raspberry jam thumbprint cookies- the dough is an almond cookie and then you make a little well in the middle (with your thumb, obviously) and put in raspberry preserves. And the are mindblowing. Though they do have an obscene amount of butter in them:




I'm sure Paula Deen would be proud. I've also made a version of these with strawberry jam, which was equally tasty. Really, you can't go wrong.

*~*~*

This is a modified version of Tammy Algood's recipe in The Complete Southern Cookbook. Mostly, I've clarified the cooking times, because these suckers are a little tricky in the doneness department:

2 sticks unsalted butter
a generous 3/4 cup of sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
a generous 2 1/4 cups of flour
1/2 cup of very finely chopped almonds
1/2 cup of raspberry jam

Preheat the oven to 300F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper (seriously, go ahead and use it- makes all the difference).

Cream the butter and sugar in an electric mixer until fluffy (takes me about 4 minutes on high). Add the extracts and blend in. Reduce the speed to low and slowly add in the flour.

Remove the dough and roll into 1 1/2 inch balls. Roll them in the finely chopped almonds. Thumbprint time! Make a well in each cookie with your thumb and fill each one with jam.

Bake for 22 minutes- now here's where it's a little tricky. I've never had them brown by then. It usually takes me at least 30 minutes to get them brown to my satisfaction. I recommend cooking at 2-3 minute intervals until you feel good about them. Even if you feel uncertain, I'd stop after 30- they just don't brown that much.

Cool on racks- and then keep everyone else's paws off of them.

*~*~*

Anyways, I think that you will LOVE these. Here are some more lovely pictures of them in progress...







No comments:

Post a Comment