Sunday, December 11, 2011

Advent Again

You guys know I get all liturgical on you whenever a high holy day is coming up, so here is this season's dose of meditation. In church this week, one of our pastors had us kneel for beginning prayer. Instead of one of our normal prayers from the BoCP, he asked us to sing the first verse of "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" together.

O come, O come, Emmanuel
And ransom captive Israel
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear

Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

I love this hymn, anyways, but the few moments he spent reminding us of the meaning of each of the lines freshened the significance in my mind. 

More than anything else, the sweetness of the name of "Emmanuel" has resonated with me - "God is with us." This is the name that our Savior takes. I've been contemplating all the different ways that phrase can be interpreted:

God is with me - no matter where I go, He goes with me.

God is with me - He's tracking with what I'm saying, thinking, feeling, understanding where I'm coming from

God is with me - He has taken the form of man and He gets it... He gets what it means to be a person walking around on this earth.

This comforting and astonishing reality doesn't penetrate with me often enough. I am not grateful enough for it. And I forget that any area of my life that I try to deal with on my own only leads to "mourning in lonely exile... until the Son of God appears."

Where do I not believe that God is with me? Where do I find myself thinking that I have to go it alone, that I am not understood, that I am not empathized with? 

This is a season of waiting, but joyfully, there is not need to wait to embrace the truth that God is with me. There is no delay or obstacle to me bringing these places to Him; to embracing His presence with me wherever I feel alone or that I just have to suck it up and do it myself. 

Sunday was a great Advent meditation for me that has lingered through the week; I hope I'm able to maintain that contemplative spirit for the rest of the season.

What have you been thinking about this Advent season?

No comments:

Post a Comment