Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Shrove Tuesday Hoopla

Whew. I have been MIA and I am sorry... have you ever had a time when you just were sort of floating? Kind of on auto-pilot, unthinking, unfeeling, floating along the lazy river ride of life? That's been me for the last few weeks. I've been getting into the routine of being on a new project for work, and somehow, focus on getting into that routine seems to have white noised out all other things in my life.

Which is why Lent is so well timed for me this year- I am ready to reengage with the land of the living and embrace anew the things that are important to me. So, as last year, I am going sans sweets and meat for the 40 days o' Lent. I've filled up on steak, chicken, and sugar the last few days, and I am ready to say goodbye to them for a while.

And, in honor of my new Anglican traditions, I made my requisite pilgrimage for dinner tonight:


Pancakes! Because Shrove Tuesday (also known as Mardi Gras) is also known as Pancake Day! Traditionally, people were trying to use up all their rich food that they weren't going to have over Lent (butter, sugar, etc.). Thank the Lord they did, because who doesn't want a church sanctioned pancake feast? I think in England they have some kind of fry pan/pancake races to this day. I would like to attend. My British friends - let me know how to make this happen.

I was also introduced by my Chicago coworkers to the Polish traditional Mardi Gras food - paczkis. Imagine a cream filled doughnut. Now fluff it up to twice it's normal size. Now flavor the cream inside to match the icing flavor. Now dump a ton of sugar sprinkles on top. You are left with maybe the most decadent doughnut I've encountered. It was amazingly delicious, but all of us had sugar headaches for about an hour afterwards. Totes worth it...

Anyhoo, I am now full of pancakes and paczkis, and I am ready for Lent. I'm ready to refocus on God and on engaging fully with the life He's given me. It's a little hard at times to figure out this whole community thing while I'm on the road, but I'm ready to tackle the challenge.

Buckle up, folks! Lent is here... yahoo!

2 comments:

  1. GIRRRRL I so want a paczki! If any of your chicago friends have recipes, post them!!! Yummmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know if I encounter recipes... sounds like it's a pretty complex process, so I think most people get them from bakeries. There are some great Polish and German bakeries around here!

      Delete