Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Books Like Whoa: Books to Read in One Day

Thanks to our friends at The Broke and The Bookish for another thought provoking Top Ten Tuesday idea! This week is the top 10 books you read in one day... I love these types of reads. The oh-my-gosh-I-can't-stop-until-I-find-out-everything-that-happens kinds of books. The books that make me miss meals and appointments. These are as rare as an exotic bird but equally beautiful when spotted.


Looking at the list, it's interesting to me that it isn't always the plot that draws me in, but more often then not, it is the connection I have with the characters that keeps me turning the page.


1. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini: I picked this up one morning before class to start. I ended up skipping all of my classes for the day to finish it. This is definitely a character connection example, since I don't really remember a lot of what actually happens in this book other than at a high level. Beautiful and sad.

2. & 3. Catching Fire and Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins: I read both of these in 24 hours last weekend after seeing the movie. My brain is still messed up from it. Holy crap - by using the present tense and making the stakes so high for all of the characters, you just can't help but be sucked along for the journey.

4. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie: I've read many of Ms. Christie's books in one sitting, as I do my best to save them for when I am traveling. That being said, this is the first one that really hooked me- one of her more famous plots, what else do you expect?

5. The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole by Sue Townsend: I read this at the end of last year because it had me laughing out loud. The eponymous hero is such a completely clueless nitwit that you can't help but cheer for him in all of his middle class teen trials and tribulations. It's hard to get a hold of here in the US, but there's a reason it was the best selling book of the 1980s in the UK.

6. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling: I read most of the Harry Potter books in one sitting, but this was the first time I did so after doing the midnight purchasing experience. Such a great book and such a fond memory

7. The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown: This ubiquitous mass market confection is a best seller for a reason. The writing and plausibility may be scraping the bottom of the barrel, but the plot is a no-holds-bar thrill ride. I managed to polish this off on the plane back from Italy with a kid sticking his elbow in my ribs the whole time.

8. Maus (Volume 1 & 2) by Art Spiegelman: I picked this up from the library a few weeks ago- as my first adult graphic novel, I wasn't sure what to expect. What I got was a captivating memoir of horror and fear, alongside a truly sad picture of a father/son relationship.

9. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows: One of my all time favorite books, I refused to do anything else with our family on vacation in Santa Fe until I finished this up. It's the kind of book I finish and say to myself, "Damn. I wish I wrote that."

10. The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis: And finally, I couldn't not mention one of my all time favorite books and all around amazing allegory. This was one of the first ones I read of Lewis and has been instrumental in my understanding of life and faith ever since. And it's a ripping good tale.

What about you? What was the last book you read in one day?

7 comments:

  1. The books I've read on this list - like The Kite Runner & The Da Vinci Code - totally rocked so I'll have to check the others out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you've not read MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS, you definitely should - it's the definition of a page turner!

      Delete
  2. I read Catching Fire and Mockjay each in one sitting too. Still unhappy with how the series ended.

    Great list
    http://kristina-worldofbooks.blogspot.com/2012/04/top-10-tuesdays-15.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm still reeling from the ending. I feel pretty let down - not what I thought I was signing up for! I think a lot of people felt that way.

      Delete
  3. Obviously, the Twilight series. I'm kidding. OK, maybe I'm not. Um. I need to redeem myself now. "The Help" was a pretty quick read and I recently read a book called "Love Walked In" that I read in a couple of days. Hm. None of these are giving me any street cred in the "literary" department. Oh, well. Did I mention I read "Atlas Shrugged" last summer? It only took me three months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your ATLAS SHRUGGED achievement has given you a permanent literary swagger card - don't be shy about flashing it around! ;)

      Delete
  4. I love getting drawn into a story. I wholeheartedly agree with 1,2,3,6,7,&10; so, I'm excited to look into the others (I'm adding them to my "To Read" list right now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete