Monday, June 18, 2012

Belated Father's Day Note

So I'm a little late on this note on Father's Day... I was spending the weekend with my mother (sorry Daddy!) and lost track of time. I think I summed up my old man best in a previous post, so I won't go rehashing old ground (post).

All I'll add is that my dad is a spectacularly unique and kind of crazy person that I absolutely adore. The biggest lesson I've learned from him is that you have to be yourself, even if it's hard or unpopular. He's got a very strong personality (something I share- you're shocked, I'm sure) and it's the kind that people either love or hate. While I've learned some "anti-lessons" from that dynamic, I've also walked away understanding that you shouldn't try to change who you are to make other people happy. You are what you are, and while we all have room to improve, I can hold my head up high and be confident in who I am.

My dad is  one of the first people that I want to call when I'm excited or scared, and along with my mom, I am completely blessed to have parents who love and support me. C.S. Lewis has a wonderful section in The Four Loves where he talks about familial affections and the purpose of parental love. He concludes that the ultimate end of parent love is to make yourself unnecessary. If you have done your job right, your kids don't need you. Luckily, I don't need my parents, but I want to be around them. Mission accomplished.

What did you do for this Father's Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment