Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Books Like Whoa: Is Everyone Reading Without Me?

Bonjour mes amies! Today's post comes courtesy of the lovely folks at The Broke and the Bookish, who posited the question, "What 10 books does it seem like everyone but you has read?" As I think about this question, it's hard to define "everyone." Are we talking in the broader culture or specific to my group of friends?  I try to stay on top of the big bestsellers just to have a sense of what's going on in the market, so I've at least tried most of the big books (i.e. Twilight, A Game of Thrones, the Sookie Stackhouse mysteries, etc.). That being said, there are a number of books that it seems like I've missed the boat on...


  1. A James Patterson book: I've seen 2 of the Alex Cross movies, so in my mind, I think I've mistakenly associated that with having read the books. In fact, I have not actually had the megabestseller experience
  2. Fifty Shades of Gray by E.L. James: Oi vey. Look, I've read Harlequin romances at the beach - that's one of the great pleasures of getting a beach house with your girlfriends. You swap them and read aloud the hilarious "sexy" bits. From what I can tell, this seems to be a very popular version of those dime store romances, albeit with more handcuffs. Not sure I'll ever get around to this one, but I enjoy hearing people discuss the phenomenon (and quoting passages - evidently this chick's subconscious is very active during sexy times)
  3. Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare: I think maybe every other high schooler had to read this Shakespeare at some point during their 4 years... it wasn't on the docket at our school. I've never gotten around to it, but hopefully some day I'll get the bard's take on power and betrayal in ancient Rome. 
  4. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern: I have the audio and I keep meaning to get to it, but this is the book that every one and their mom was reading last fall... Very much looking forward to diving in
  5. Unbroken by Lauren Hillenbrand: I really, really want to read this, as I've yet to hear someone give it a negative review. Just haven't gotten to it. 
  6. Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel: Now that the sequel, Bring Up the Bodies, is a huge hit, it turns out that everyone I know seems to have read the original. Not sure that I'll ever get around to these, though, I gotta be honest
  7. Switched by Amanda Hocking: YA Romance featuring trolls? Um, no thanks. But there's no denying that this self-publishing juggernaut has inspired hopes in the hearts of self-pubbed writers everywhere
  8. A Danielle Steel Book: I think she's the best selling female author of all time. Her appeal must be great. Just not to me. 
  9. One for the Money by Janet Evanovich: From all accounts, this is frothy fun. It just doesn't quite capture my fancy enough to put in the rotation of my TBR
  10. Wild by Cheryl Strayed: This is the new Oprah book club book - which means that this once appealing book smells like overhype to me. Not interested any more. Too bad, I heard it was a really good memoir.
What books do you feel like you missed the boat on?

8 comments:

  1. I say that you must not miss Wolf Hall and Unbroken and, though I'm only ten pages in, I recommend Wild, too!

    Here's my
    Top Ten Books I Will Never Read.
    I'd love to have you stop by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I'll break down and read Wild at some point - it's going to be inescapable pretty soon, so why resist the inevitable?

      I totally agree with you on Lolita and Ulysses. I'm not sure I'll ever get around to those... just not my cup of tea :)

      Delete
  2. The Fault in Our Stars is probably the one right now that I feel like I'm missing out on. It just hasn't been a priority. And i'm purposefully not reading 50 Shades. Not on any high horse about it i just dont care to read something that seems so poorly written. There are so many books in this world that I actually want to read by authors I love... No time for something I dont even want to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew, I agree on The Fault in Our Stars, but reading the description, I just don't know if I can do it! I have a hard time going into a book or movie that I know is going to make me cry... but everyone loves it so much, I may have to steel myself and do it eventually. Let me know what you think if you get around to it.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! I think it came to me because I keep meaning to pick up Mindy Kaling's new book

      Delete
  4. i recommend trying one for the money on audio during a roadtrip...that book is hilarious...

    ReplyDelete