Friday, June 8, 2012

Books Like Whoa: Jump Start Your Summer Reading

It's June, it's hot as Hades already, and that means... it's time to start thinking about your summer reading! There are so many ways to approach summer reading - light and frothy? The classic you keep meaning to get to? Political rantings in prep for the fall election?

Personally, I don't 100% buy the premise behind summer reading. I think the idea is supposed to be that everyone is more relaxed and has a lot more time to spend with their nose in a book. That's true, so far as it goes with actual vacations. But I feel like I have so much less free time during the summer - there seems to be something going on every day of the week, not even talking about the weekends. In the winter, everyone is holed up and I tuck in with my books.

In any case, I don't change up my summer reading too much from the rest of the year, but I do hope to get through these in the next couple months: Pure by Andrew Miller; Bleakley Hall by Elaine di Rollo; Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn; Imagine by Jonah Lehrer; I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith; and The Night Strangers by Chris Bohjalian.

To help you make your choices, here's a round up of some helpful links from around the interwebs:

A Flowchart to Pick Your Summer Read

The New York Times' Picks

Amazon Rounds Up Blockbuster Author's Newest Releases

NPR Lets Indie Bookseller's Choose Their Top Summer Picks

Flavorwire Gives You 10 Highbrow Reads to Make You Feel Smug on the Beach

Entertainment Weekly Offers Some Selections for Those Who Love HBO's "Girls"

USA Today Has A Great Interactive List

Some Good, Loooong Reads

The Wall Street Journal Has Suggestions for Financiers and Non-Financiers Alike

And, if you're interested in joining an online summer reading group, may I recommend The Readers' Summer Reading Group? They have chosen a diverse group of titles and there is both a podcast and Goodreads group element. Read as many or few as interest you, but the conversation is smart and it's always interesting to hear from the authors.

What are you reading this summer? Any difference from your normal reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment