Monday, June 25, 2012

Movin' On Up to the West Side (of the Continent)

So... at the beginning of the year, I obliquely mentioned that I potentially had some big changes coming up. Now that I've let my employers in on that news, I can finally share with all of you that...

I'm moving to Vancouver! To go to grad school! For something completely unrelated to what I do now!

Okay, so why am I making this change? Basically, I went into consulting as a grand experiment - I'd realized that accounting was not my bag and this was my last shot to try to use my undergrad degree. Plus, I really do admire the company I have worked for. They are a global brand, populated almost exclusively with really smart and really interesting people (I hope this means that I'm a similarly smart and interesting person by association). I figured, if I don't like this, I won't really like any business type job.

There are days when I really love my job. But more often than not, my job makes me feel trapped and stressed about things that just aren't important enough to me. I think it would be different if I was supporting a family or had debt to pay off, but it's just little old me, and frankly, they don't give me enough personal time for me to spend the money they pay.

That being said, I've also known that I wanted to reroute directions since I was in my junior year of college. Profitable or not, in my heart of hearts, I want to be a writer. That may not always pay the bills, but that is what my true vocation is. I wanted to go back to school to get some more specific training in that arena.

Enter: Regent College. Now, you may be wondering why I am going to seminary to become a writer. It would be really long post to totally explain the path that brought me here, but the short version is that I'm going to be studying literature from the vantage point that most interests me: how faith influences a writer's work (think Flannery O'Conner, Tolstoy, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Tolkien, Lewis, etc.). Thus, I will emerge from school in 3 years with a Masters in Divinity with a focus in the Arts (i.e. lit).

I had an amazing school visit a few weeks ago (seriously, everything exceeded my expectations and I had a debate about gender roles and spirituality in Pilgrim's Progress - it was the best Friday ever) and snapped some photos of my new school home:







I will also (obviously) be moving to Vancouver, British Columbia, to go to school full time, which it turns out is a really wonderful place. It is perfect Frankie weather (moody and not too hot) and you can see the mountains everywhere you go:






And to top it all off, there's a smiling bear in the airport just like in Knox Vegas:


Whew. More or less... I'm JAZZED! I cannot wait to start a new season of life in a very different place doing very different things than I have been for the last few years. I'm really sad to leave all my DC people behind, but I also know that the time in DC has been preparing me for this next step.

But since I'm moving to a new country, I'm going to need something to read, so...

Does anyone have any good Vancouver/British Columbia/Canadian novels they can recommend?

2 comments:

  1. Eating Dirt by Charlotte Gill. You won't live the lifestyle portrayed if you are going to seminary in Vancouver - but it is a great book set in the forests of BC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first BC specific rec - everything else I've seen is just Canada generally. I'll have to check it out! :)

      Delete