Friday, June 15, 2012

The Rhythms of Office Life

With every day, I grow more accustomed to the rhythms of office life. The first cup of tea at 8am. The copier running out of paper around 3pm every day. The depressing sound of the air conditioning powering off at 7pm. These are the milestones that I mark my day by.

It's more the routines of the people I work with, though, that make my days blur together. There's a guy who looks just like Christopher Guest in The Princess Bride who has a smoke break every morning outside my window. There's the gigantic dude with a shaggy beard who seems to just circle the building, lapping me every 10 minutes or so. I've never seen him land in a location - he's like a raft adrift in the ocean, aimlessly drifting towards oblivion. There is the lady at the end my cube row who posts a new picture of her dog and/or nephew every Monday under her cube name tag.

However, I never cease to be surprised by the ways that humans manage to break out of their default as creatures of habit. This week, I had many odd and out of character encounters with my coworkers. Some were simply head scratching (why the old guy I work with on deployment decided to wear nearly identical Hawaiian shirts every day this week) to truly weird (why the guy I help manage sent me a shirtless GIF of him winking). In every case, they jar me out of my day to day and I realize how much my own life has become routinized.

In spite of odd interactions, office life remains dull and boring, no matter how much hustle and bustle there is around the water cooler. Moral of the story kids? Even variety to routine doesn't make a job you're not digging more exciting.

Here's hoping to happier Monday...

2 comments:

  1. If there was a post to describe how I feel, I seriously couldn't have put it better myself! Proud of you for making a change!

    In spite of odd interactions, office life remains dull and boring, no matter how much hustle and bustle there is around the water cooler. Moral of the story kids? Even variety to routine doesn't make a job you're not digging more exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! It's hard to get out the routine, but once you hit a certain point, it's time for a change. Hopefully you'll be able to figure out what that change should be soon :)

      Delete