Sunday, August 26, 2012

Books Like Whoa: A Bookish State of the Union

Hola, mes amis! I've been off the grid for the last few weeks as I've been making the transition from life in DC/working full time to life in Knoxville then Vancouver/being a full time student. I'll post later on the general state of the Franklynn, but for now, The Broke and the Bookish's book survey is the perfect vehicle to update you on my bookish life.

So without further ado...



  • The book I'm currently reading: Death in the City of Light by David King... It's a fascinating subject (a serial killer on the loose in Nazi-occupied Paris), but the writing isn't spectacular. It's entertaining enough to keep me going.
  • The last book I finished: Inside Scientology by Janet Reitman... Help me, this was a fantastic read. I really appreciated the reporter's attempt to keep an objective tone and portray this cult (and by the end of the book, that is clearly what it is) with an even hand. Look for a review coming soon.
  • The next book I want to read: Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon... I got about 33% of the way through right before the move and got distracted, but it was lovely thus far and I want to get back to it ASAP.
  • The last book I bought: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson... I am trying to get all of her works because she's kind of what I want to be when I grow up. I got this one from my favorite used bookstore and I'm looking forward to diving in.
  • The last book I was given: Mystery and Manners by Flannery O'Connor... My best friend from high school, Jolene, gave this to me when I was visiting in Nashville. She enjoyed it in her MFA program and wanted to pass the love along. It has her annotations, which I just love in any book. You feel like you're reading it with that person.




What are you reading right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment