Friday, September 14, 2012

Books Like Whoa: What Kind of Reader Are You?

I have a confession to make: I have been reading. A lot. But I haven't finished a book in almost 4 weeks. It's not for lack of trying or progress or interest. I've made good progress with several books that I am really enjoying... they are well written and generally awesome. Alas, I simply can't seem to commit to any one book and hence can't seem to close the deal.



The Atlantic ran a highly amusing piece on different kinds of readers and recommended reads for each type. Color me convicted. I am soooo a promiscuous reader. I wish I could change, but this is all I know in my reading life. The root of the problem is that I have to be in the mood to make progress with any book... meaning that books only get finished if I have a sustained mood to read them or I am trapped on a plane with nothing else to distract me.

Seriously, you want to know which books I'm reading right now (besides the ones I'm reading for school)? The Secret History by Donna Tartt, The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Plagues and Peoples by William T. McNeil, The Discarded Image by C.S. Lewis, 11/22/63 by Stephen King, The Omnivore's Dilemna by Michael Pollan, The Princes in the Tower by Alison Weir, Heaven by Randy Alcorn, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer, London by Peter Ackroyd, The Decline and Fall of the British Aristocracy by David Carradine, Judy by Gerold Frank, and Middlemarch by George Elilot. And those are just the ones that are on the book hutch over my desk.

I have a sickness. I long to be made well and into a chronological reader.

But for those of you who don't have a promiscuous reading disease, who are a different kind of reader than I am, here are a couple of recommendations to honor your able-to-complete-a-book skillz.

For the Hate Reader: Anything by Dan Brown

For Delayed Onset Reader #1 (yeah, I'm guilty of this, too...): The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

For Delayed Onset Reader #2: Nothing - you don't deserve to be a book steward (only kidding - The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon is sure to impress)

For the Anti-Reader: Maus by Art Spiegelman

For the Cross-Under: Great Expectations by Charles Dickens or Number the Stars by Lois Lowry, depending on which way you are crossing

For the Multi-Tasker: Masterpieces in Miniature by Agatha Christie

For the Sleep Bedtime Reader: A non-fiction book on a topic you have zero interest in

What kind of reader are you?

2 comments:

  1. Could you explain delayed-onset and cross-under?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly, I was pulling those from the article I mentioned, though now that I'm looking at this, it doesn't make that entirely clear... whoops :)

      Delayed Onset #1: A reader who impulsively buys books in the shop as they appeal to them, only to end up with a house full of unread books, that they later read in one big slurp

      Delayed Onset #2: A non-reader who buys books because they look impressive

      Cross-Under: Either a kid who reads adults books or an adult who reads YA/kids books

      Delete