Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Books Like Whoa: Summer Reads (2013 Edition)

Hola, people! Hey, did you know that it's summer (ish)? Which, for some reason, means that people get reinvigorated about reading. I think the idea is that people have more time to read, but I always find that idea never really plays out for me. There's too much socializing to do for me to get much reading done -  when things cool down and everyone goes into hibernation, that's when my prime reading happens. How can I focus on a book with all the fun-ness happening?



I do concede, however, that long flights and pool lounging on vacay are prime reading slots. With that in mind, I thought I would round up some lists that are floating around with suggestions for what you can read throughout the sunny season:

New York Times Beach Reads

The Guardian's Compilation of Author and Critics' Summer Reading

Entertainment Weekly's 10 Beach Reads

Salon's Summer Reading List

Summer Reads From Mashable

TED Talk's Epic Beach Reading List

LA Times' Summer Reads

WaPo's 10 Coming of Age Novels for the Summer

Mashable's 23 YA Summer Reads

Paste's 20 New Books for Summer

Book Riot's Compilation of YA Summer Reads

The Guardian's List for Holiday Reading This Summer

The New York Times' Hosts an Author Debate Over The Best Summer Reads

If none of these lists has something that revs your engine, I have three other suggestions of what you can read to distract yourself from the sweltering sun that is giving you melanomas.

For sassy women and the men who love them...

How To Be A Woman by Caitlin Moran



Okay, these personal essays are rather crass. I concede that. BUT... they are also really funny and really insightful. And Moran says somethings that need to be said more often in the Western world, while making a pretty compelling case for why feminism needs to keep being a thing. She made me laugh out loud multiple times, besides moving me with her depiction of her impoverished childhood.


For hipsters who want some brain food with their fun short stories...

Tenth of December by George Saunders



The New York Times called this the best book of the year - in January. So yeah, definitely highly praised and a "prestige" book (in the vein of Jonathan Frazen's perpetually over-hyped books), but this one delivers. The first story hooked me in, and though (as with every short story collection) some stories connected with me more than others, it was a fun ride all the way through. It is exciting to see an author who is concerned both with pushing their art forward AND entertaining their readers. Who'da thunk it?


For book nerds or techies who want a mystery that speaks their language...

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloane


This is a slow burning mystery whose plot can be a little meander-y, but the writing has such a light touch and the characters are so endearing that it will keep you turning the pages.

What are you reading this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment