Monday, July 29, 2013

Summer in Canadia - Or Some Differences Between America and Canada

Living in Canada as an American is a pretty interesting proposition. On the surface, we're two of the most similar cultures on planet earth. But there are moments when I am reminded that we are just different. Existentially, we're slightly out of alignment...

Really - this happened to me

And the whole hockey thing is just... well...


But mostly, Canada is like living in America without a lot of the crazy. Canadians ain't got time for the crazy. Do you see them sitting around having a budget crisis every month?


And while winter was dark and rainy and sometimes just the worst, summer in Vancouver makes it all worth it. The sun comes up at 5 and goes down at 10 and every day looks like this:








Basically, it's kind of paradise here. Everyone spends as much time as they can soaking up Vitamin D to sustain them for the rest of the year, enjoying the beaches and mountains, and generally rejoicing in not having to carry an umbrella with them wherever they go.

Sometimes people ask me whether I miss living in America and I'm like



But I need to temper that - I miss Knoxville when I'm in Vancouver. I miss Vancouver when I'm in Knoxville. It's hard to be invested in two places at once, because you're always being pulled away from where you are. But at the end of the day, that's such a blessing. It's such a blessing that I feel invested in my life so fully, which I frankly wasn't when living in DC. A lot of that has to do with the season I was in and my vocational situation. Sometimes when I look back at where I was this time last year, I kind of freak out.



Yet, mostly, I am trying to enjoy this time of life, where things are challenging but invigorating. And basking in such a gorgeous summer makes that enjoyment pretty easy. I'll always be an American at heart - but for now, I'm loving being a faux-nadian.



1 comment: