Monday, October 21, 2013

Frolicking in Fall Foliage

Guys, if you haven't noticed, it's fall.


My favorite time of year... I'm not totally sure why. Part of it is that I love pumpkins and apples and all the autumnal food that kicks in this time of year. Part of it is that I love fall leaves and finding new colors to take pictures of (I'm just warming up for the year...).






But mostly, I love walking around in the crisp air, snuggled up in corduroy jackets and cashmere scarves, and musing on life and death. I know that a lot of people think it's macabre to think about death. But you know what? It's a part of life. The insipid #YOLO craze reveals the only valid function that many people see for death is an ominous reminder to do whatever the hell you want to now because the fun will be over soon. Even if you don't believe in an afterlife, surely there can be some wisdom taken from not treating death as the ultimate ill.

Fall, for me, is a reminder that our lives are indeed short, but that our short time on earth is a part of the bigger story of humanity. It reminds me that life is full of both joyful and awful things. It reminds me of beauty and temporality and the terror and ecstasy that is living. I feel more alive after I walk around in the leaves, and I invite you to give it a try. Here are some of the songs I've been listening to this fall to help set the musing vibe:

"April, Come She Will" - Simon & Garfunkel
"Awake My Soul" - Mumford & Sons
"Vito's Ordination Song" - Sufjan Stevens
"Every Breath" - Gungor
"Hand-Me-Down Tune" - The Avertt Brothers

Now go see some leaves!

No comments:

Post a Comment