Thursday, November 21, 2013

Books Like Whoa: The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis (Favorites Edition)

Rounding the corner with my favorite Narnia book....



The Magician's Nephew 
by C.S. Lewis

This book was originally published in 1955.

The Chronicles of Narnia are well-known and beloved. It's no news that they are some of Jack's most lasting literary contributions. Most people focus on the more popular books, particularly The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and Prince Caspian. I love all the books, but those aren't my favorites. I've always preferred The Horse and His Boy and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader... but especially The Magician's Nephew. From the first time I read it, I fell in love. The humor, the character sketches, the imagery - I just loved it all. 

There are two parts of this book that particularly speak to me: Aslan singing Narnia into existence and Aslan & Digory talking about the apples...

“A voice had begun to sing. It was very far away and Digory found it hard to decide from what direction it was coming. Sometimes it seemed to come from all directions at once. Sometimes he almost thought it was coming out of the earth beneath them. Its lower notes were deep enough to be the voice of the earth herself. There were no words. It was hardly a tune. But it was beyond comparison, the most beautiful sound he had ever heard.” 

***

“Far overhead from beyond the veil of blue sky which hid them the stars sang again; a pure, cold, difficult music. Then there came a swift flash like fire (but it burnt nobody) either from the sky or from the Lion itself, and every drop of blood tingled in the children's bodies, and the deepest, wildest voice they had ever heard was saying: "Narnia, Narnia, Narnia, awake. Love. Think. Speak. Be walking trees. Be talking beasts. Be divine waters.” 

***

“He thinks great folly, child,' said Aslan. "This world is bursting with life for these few days because the song with which I called it into life still hangs in the air and rumbles in the ground. It will not be so for long. But I cannot tell that to this old sinner, and I cannot comfort him either; he has made himself unable to hear my voice. If I spoke to him, he would hear only growlings and roarings. Oh, Adam's son, how cleverly you defend yourself against all that might do you good!”

***

“But please, please - won't you - can't you give me something that will cure Mother?' 

Up till then he had been looking at the Lion's great feet and the huge claws on them; now, in his despair, he looked up at its face. What he saw surprised him as much as anything in his whole life. For the tawny face was bent down near his own and (wonder of wonders) great shining tears stood in the Lion's eyes. They were such big, bright tears compared with Digory's own that for a moment he felt as if the Lion must really be sorrier about his Mother than he was himself. 

'My son, my son,' said Aslan. 'I know. Grief is great. 
Only you and I in this land know that yet. Let us be good to one another. ..."

***

“But length of days with an evil heart is only length of misery and already she begins to know it. All get what they want; they do not always like it.”... “Child, that is why all the rest are now a horror to her. That is what happens to those who pluck and eat fruits at the wrong time and in the wrong way. Oh, the fruit is good, but they loath it ever after.” 

***

Also, any time Uncle Andrew comes up, that is basically my favorite... especially when he and Jadis go through London together. Love it! I know that The Magician's Nephew is kind of the dorky, unloved younger brother of its series siblings, but I still love it best. Hopefully there will be a decent movie made about it some day...

Rating:

7 - I will have to seriously reevaluate any friendship or romantic interest that does not like this book: a favorite 

No comments:

Post a Comment